Every month we feature someone who helps make The SEED what it is. Meet Jacob- a regular donor and microgreens farmer!
Since 2020, Jacob has been an ongoing champion for The SEED. He regularly donates various microgreens from Goldfarm Canada, his vertical farm here in Guelph. These generous donations now total over $12,500.00. The microgreens would otherwise go to waste, but instead help support the nutrition and health of the community members that we serve through Good Food Distribution.
The microgreens are stored in The SEED’s warehouse and distributed free-of-charge to our various amazing partner organizations throughout Guelph-Wellington, such as Grange Hill East Neighbourhood Group, Northend Harvest Market, White Owl Native Ancestry Association, Onward Willow Neighbourhood Group, A Little Relief, Hope House, and Your Downtown Friends (to name a few), where they are passed along to people who need them.
This type of partnership, including building a circular food economy through waste reduction, is the type of stuff that makes The SEED tick!
Food insecurity ultimately affects us all, and when used properly food can be an incredible tool to build and repair community.”Jacob Goldfarb
Jacob has also championed The SEED through the Guelph Ice Bowl, a disc golf tournament that has raised $4400.00+ and 3600+ lbs of food donations in the past two years.
Thank you so much Jacob for all that you do!
Quick Interview with Jacob…
- Name: Jacob Goldfarb, on behalf of Goldfarm Canada
- Hometown: “Toronto, but I was born in Bogota, Colombia and now call Guelph home.”
- Role at The SEED: “Our vertical farm donates microgreens on a weekly basis.”
- Favourite food: “A good proper breakfast with eggs, sausage, toast and hashbrowns. And really good coffee.”
- Favourite part of being a donor: “Knowing that food that would otherwise go to waste will instead go to folks who can use and appreciate it.”
- Why The SEED matters: “Food insecurity ultimately affects us all, and when used properly food can be an incredible tool to build and repair community.”
Are you a SEED customer, participant, donor, funder, volunteer, or other supporter? You could be our next SEED Champion of the Month! Contact Maddie to inquire: email@example.com