Fresh Food Rx is an innovative food-based healthcare program where we really are letting food be our medicine.
Doctors and other healthcare practitioners are prescribing fresh food to community members who need it for their health – and then they can redeem their prescriptions for free fruits and vegetables at our Community Food Markets.
Fresh Food Rx
Here’s what we know.
- Eating fruits and vegetables is linked to lower rates of chronic illnesses (such as cardio-vascular diseases, diabetes and cancers)
- People with the lowest household incomes are the least likely to consume the recommended amounts of fresh food, because it is more expensive and harder to keep
Here’s where our healthcare system falls short.
- Economically vulnerable Canadians have the highest rates of dietary illnesses, impacting every aspect of their lives
- Treating these illnesses is costing our health system up to 121% more
- Investing in good food early on changes health trajectories, which benefits everyone
So we decided to try to bridge that gap.
Through a provincial pilot of social prescribing by the Alliance for Healthier Communities, the provincial network of Community Health Centres, we launched our own Fresh Food Prescription pilot with additional support from the Ontario Trillium Foundation.
We partnered with the University of Guelph to evaluate the pilot closely so that we could expand it in the future. Our first pilot is ongoing, and we have 60 households using their prescriptions weekly.
If you’re interested in getting involved, you can sponsor a prescription by donating to the SEED.
For more info, contact:
Community Outreach Coordinator